Expression Engine Is Dead: Who Done It

ramone_kalsaw

I woke up this morning, ready to submit a project on my TCH hosted installation of Expression Engine, and out of nowhere -- I didn't do anything to the EE system files, I can no longer publish new, or edit existing, content on my EE-based website.

EE Tech Support Says: (http://www.pmachine.com/forums/viewthread/39704/)

"Here is the deal, you are not having one problem, you are experiencing many problems across the board. You are not just getting blank pages on the publish tab, you are getting a horribly slow control panel and many of the links in your admin area are not loading. This problem seems to be caused by the underlying hosting environment.

You did not make any changes, the system was working great and all of a sudden everything went south. Sudden changes like this are often indicative of a hosting change. EE is a basic PHP/MySQL script that is running on thousands on sites across the net. The script does not just break down with no explanation. I have seen these types of problems before and they have been a problem with a lack of memory."

TCH Tech Support Says:

I am sorry I could not find any memeory issues on the server. The server is running fast and your domain is resolving fine ... and ... The issue is with the Expression Engine software and I am sorry the help desk do not provide support to 3rd party softwares. Please visit our family forum for tips regarding 3rd party software issues.

So unless someone here or on the EE board can shed some light so I can find a solution, it seems like, according to the tech guys, after two and a half years of very hard work learning and working with EE, my website is now BURNED TOAST :)

Is the life of a script really that fragile :eek:

Any sign of the cavalry????

I think we are getting close to a fix on this.

My ENTIRE staff is working to correct this issue.

So I shouldn't be doing any troubleshooting on my end: checking logs and repairing databases?

Basically stay put until it's fixed on your end?

I also see that another fella using EE that's a TCH'er is also having and discussing the same problem on the EE board ...

FYI: We are experiencing problems with homegrown PHP scripts that we have hosted on server 24. Specifically, the print() and readfile() functions are both unable to deliver more than 65,535 bytes of data to client browsers during a single execution. This has caused problems with any scripts that send files.

I read this thread and thought our issue might be related to the same problem that the EE users are having.

Edited by Evan Hanau

Hours later and we are still digging.

We can move your accounts to a server that is not effected by this.

Just simply put in a support ticket and we can begin the move process.

With that being said we are still working on this.

Hours later and we are still digging.

We can move your accounts to a server that is not effected by this.

Just simply put in a support ticket and we can begin the move process.

With that being said we are still working on this.

Ok.

And, while I understand that unforseeable snafus like this can arise from time to time :) I do want to point out what I consider a serious customer relations issue, namely, after a few passes yesterday with TCH tech support I was politely sent to the forums with this message:

"The issue is with the Expression Engine software and I am sorry the help desk do not provide support to 3rd party softwares. Please visit our family forum for tips regarding 3rd party software issues."

It left me feeling screwed ... and I'm glad to see that executive eyes are looking into the nooks and crannies of the bulletin board. TCH has a lot of goodwill with me and I will let my frustration from this event fade away, but please speak with Tech Support about the boilerplate about 3rd party software.

My sites hosted with TCH have been down for just about two days now - two days!! I think that is a modern record for hosting. Like Ramone above I too was told it was my CMS vendor's fault even when all logic indicated that it was not the case. My sites could have been moved to an unaffected server Monday night but now the server is down, the site can't be moved and my business is probably dead.

What a frustrating occurrence. Sometimes bad things happen but a crisis management plan really should have been in place to ensure customers were not left in the dark.

We have worked on this issue for many long hours and have not been able to determine the cause of the issue. So what we have done until the issue is resolved is we are moving accounts to new servers that are not effected by this issue.

I am sorry for this issue and sorry for the length of time it has taken us to work the issue, but to be honest we simply are stumped by the issue.

Please open a ticket and we will glady move your account to a new server that will not have this issue.

This issue is only effecting a very small amount of accounts on the server.

Thank you.