Needing A Host

BoxersRule

I need to move my existing IPB forum (v1.2 © 2003 ) and a Photopost gallery (PHP 4.5.1) and have some questions! I will confess up front that I am NOT even close to being able to figure out 'puter talk so please type slowly & use big font. :clapping:

Can my existing forum be transfered to the IPB forum offered here without losing members & posts?

Can Photopost be supported by TCH?

Will TCH move the forum & gallery (and make it work LOL!) and what is the fee?

Members "hotlink" pictures from the gallery into posts. Will that significantly increase the bandwidth usage?

Can hotlinking to other sites be prevented?

I don't want to move and then get surprised by additional fees! My site is strictly a personal site and I don't make any money from it.

My entire site is appoximately 1.2 gig in size. I don't know the bandwidth usage but don't think it would be over the limit offered in the "starter plan".

Here are the links to the forum & gallery:

BoxersRule

Gallery

Thanks!

Karen

BoxersRule Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum, Karen. :clapping:

Can my existing forum be transferred to the IPB forum offered here without losing members & posts?

If your current host have cpanel, you can ask our techs to transfer (cpanel-cpanel) it for you.

Can Photopost be supported by TCH?

Should be no problem after looking at its requirements.

Will TCH move the forum & gallery (and make it work LOL!) and what is the fee?

If the cpanel to cpanel transfer is available, there is no fee for it, otherwise you will need to backup the database at the current host and all eventual additional files and rebuild it here. Lots of people here willing to guide you through it.

Members "hotlink" pictures from the gallery into posts. Will that significantly increase the bandwidth usage?

Someone else will have to answer this.

Can hotlinking to other sites be prevented?

Yes

I don't want to move and then get surprised by additional fees! My site is strictly a personal site and I don't make any money from it.

No fees are hidden here. All fees are those you see on the hosting plan pages.

My entire site is appoximately 1.2 gig in size. I don't know the bandwidth usage but don't think it would be over the limit offered in the "starter plan".

Find the plan you think are best for the moment. You can always upgrade/downgrade later.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm checking on "cpanel". I use SSH to access the files... don't know if that makes a difference.

A huge problem for me is that I'm on dialup <gasp> and am lucky to have that. I'm in a rural area and that's all that is available. I speed along at a max of 28.8Kbps! :clapping: Downloading/uploading is quite the challenge. :)

I will almost have to have someone else do the transfer if TCH can't.

Welcome to the forums, Karen. :P

Hotlinking pictures from the gallery into forum posts will probably increase bandwidth usage. This is because everytime the post loads, the picture will be accessed and loaded as well. But, on the other hand, users might go see the gallery less frequently, since everything is on the posts. So the bandwidth usage really depends on your user's behaviours.

So long as you and your users "hotlink" within your own site, you are basically just using your own bandwidth... but nothing morally wrong with it, since you're not stealing anyone else's bandwidth.

Welcome to the Forums Karen. With CPanel its very easy to move things over for you so no worries there.

With IPB 1.2 I would suggest you look either upgrading it (sorry they no longer do the free version) or convert it into something like phpBB or SMF for security reasons. Both can be installed via cPanel here meaning no uploading or downloading for you.

28.8, not bad, before I got broadband here, sometimes it would connect at 14.4K and OMG, is that slow!

JimE

The more I read about hosts the more confusing it is! Overselling, bandwidth, downtime, all those letters that I don't have a clue about... UGH! :blink:

I did manage to find some stats I didn't know I had which I think I've attached. It's also online here.

post-8907-1148823505_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking the bottom graph is bandwidth but again, clueless as to what it means. Could someone translate for me and recommend the best plan?

I also have questions about the new version of IBP...

Would I have to purchase it and then have it installed here or is it already here & all I have to is have the license? How difficult would it be to convert my existing forum? Is this forum running on the new IBP version?

Since I use SSH to access the server, my guess is that CPanel isn't available. :(

Thanks for the help!

The bottom (red) graph is the bandwidth used. You are using up to 0.4GB on a busy day, most days are less than that. 30 days at 0.4GB = 12GB / month.

Personally I'd go for the delux plan which has ample bandwidth for you and 1.5GB of space (you say you use 1.2GB)

For the new version of IBP, yes you would need to purcahse that and install it. This forum is using the latest version of IPB, yes.

Upgrading from the old version of IPB to the new version is relatively straightforward.