Php 4.4.1?

carbonize

Now I know this will get moved but I want to ask it anyway. There was a thread where a TC user asked if thee was any chance of his server being updated with PHP 5. He was told that this would not happen becase PHP 5 would break a lot of scripts. Today, for the first time in a while, I checked my servers PHP version and found it had been updated to PHP 4.4.1! Now I find it funny that TC wont update to PHP 5 as it MIGHT stop some older scripts from working but they will happily update to PHP 4.4.1 despite the fact it has a known bug that a lot of scripts have had to release patch files to fix, my own script included. In fact this bug can cause web browser to hang and in some cases crash whilst the scripts are trying to execute. If it causes the browsers to hang whats it doing to the servers?

</rant>

PHP crashing a browser??? :thumbup1:

That's a new one to me...

Edit: forget the previous message, I don't want to go into any arguments about your rant, carbonize :thumbup1:

By the way, is the patch you had to release one that will not be needed when PHP 4.4.2 comes out or is it something that will always have to be used from now on?

Edited by borfast

In my opinion it is an intelligent enough question (and yes it is a question). They said they would not update to PHP 5 as it would require people to update their scripts but they will update to PHP 4.4 which also requires people to update their scripts and can cause browsers to hang and possible the server also. I am not going to start repeating myself nor start defending my opinion as I would rather this thread stuck to it's subject.

Edited by carbonize

The servers were upgraded to PHP 4.4 for security reasons. If scripts broke that could not be helped. Security is the main concern and the reason the servers were updated.

That's why I posted the original message :)

It would be an inteligent question enough question if you didn't know the reasons for the upgrade. As I already said in some other threads, I would also upgrade to PHP 5 (because I'm a tech freak) but TCH's decision is totally valid. If they can avoid breaking their clients' scripts, then they avoid it. In this case, they couldn't. It's as simple as that.

The question is intelligent because I was asking why they didn't just go upto PHP 5 given that people would have to patch/upgrade their scripts with this upgrade anyway and PHP 5 is less likely to hang on their servers and crash web browsers.

5 seconds over our slow corporate network. Although the webshots items at the bottom did take longer but that is out of our control.

Back on topic. Not to beat a dead horse but I think it has been stated as best it can as to why we did not upgrade all the way to 5. We all have choices. We made a choice as to what we thought was best overall for our customers.

The question is intelligent because I was asking why they didn't just go upto PHP 5 given that people would have to patch/upgrade their scripts with this upgrade anyway and PHP 5 is less likely to hang on their servers and crash web browsers.
Because if they did, they'd break a lot more scripts than they already did by upgrading to 4.4.

Listen, I can totally understand why you say it would be a better choice to upgrade to PHP 5 and, to some extent, I do agree with you. But you have to understand that TCH has to make some choices and they decided not to piss off their customers any more than they have to - they had to piss off some customers in order to ensure everyone was secure but if they can avoid pissing off even more folks by upgrading to PHP 5, then they will avoid it.

If I was the owner of TCH, I probably would have upgraded PHP to version 5 very shortly after it came out. I would probably be out of business in no time, too. What I mean is that if you know about tech stuff, then work on tech stuff. Bill and his staff know about business (and tech stuff, too, of course), so let them work on their area.

I know sometimes it irritates me to see this king of mentality of "hey, let's not rush ourselves, let's wait a bit longer to see if this thing is really stable" and then having to wait way longer than I'd like to, just to see the change happen (which, some times, doesn't even happen). But then I remind myself of a couple of things:

1 - I'm not in charge of the business, so it's not up to me to make these decisions;

2 - I'm a tech freak and I like to play with the latest and greatest, even if that means having to cope with a few bugs every now and then - these guys are hosting professionals and they're responsible for thousands of websites, many of which are the sole source of income for small and large companies and because of that, they can't take any chances.

So if you want to suggest that TCH starts installing PHP 5 in new servers and gives their customers the choice of PHP 4 or 5, then I'm with you, because it would avoid breaking any already existing scripts, it would attract even more customers and would put the latest version of PHP in our hands with all its advantages.

But please, don't insist on something that has been answered dozens of times. As Rob said, it has already been stated as best as it can why TCH still didn't or will not upgrade PHP to version 5. Give it a rest, ok?

I actually doubt that many scripts would stop working with PHP 5. You can cofnigure it to be very backwads comptiable if need be.

I was also going to say that maybe updating to PHP 5 would stop a lot of older, insecure, scripts from working but I doubt things like formmail would be affected as it is a simple script.

Atleast now I get to test the fixes I wrote for Lazarus users who are on 4.4.1.

Well I would like to thank the people who thought that upgrading to php 4.4.1 was a good idea. Now because of this. My phpnuke which btw is the newest patched version 7.9. Is getting alot of errors and bugs. I have posted about all this in various nuke help sites and the reply to most of them is get rid of php 4.4.1 and update again to

PHP to 4.4.x-dev. Which i cannot do since I have no controll over this. Right now my only choice is to either wait it out and hope someone comes up with fixes that will work with php 4.4.1 or start all over again with a different portal system that will work with it. And I put alot of hard work and effort into my present site as it is. :unsure:

I am killing this thread.

We are NOT upgrading to PHP 5 as I have said over and over and over.

We upgraded to 4.4.1 in regards to recent security exploits found in 4.3.11.

Our choice was clear. Continue to see hacked sites due to a 4.3.11 exploit that every script kiddie got ahold of or upgrade to 4.4.1 and stop the 777 exploit.

We tested on 10 production servers for 7 days and found VERY little issues. It was then decided to move all servers to 4.4.1

Thread is closed.